Mara Law, P.A.
Protecting you, your family
and your assets
Mara Law, P.A.
Mara Law, P.A.

Step-Parent Adoptions

Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 11:05AM

Although not as complicated and involved as regular adoptions, Step-Parent Adoptions can have a couple of nuances that can affect the smooth completion of the process.  It is not always necessary to have an attorney represent a step-parent in these types of cases, but it is helpful in reducing anxiety and solving potential problems.

One of the biggest problems that can arise relates to consent.  The consent of the biological parents is required.  The parent who is married to the Step-Parent petitioning for adoption must sign the Petition along with the Step-Parent.  However, the other parent must also sign.  At times, it can be difficult to get the written consent of or even locate that parent.  Under certain circumstances, you may be able to petition the Court to terminate that biological parent’s rights within the Petition itself or provide them with what is called Constructive Notice.   

The consent of the child to be adopted is also usually required, if the child is at least 12 years old.  The child can also decide if he or she wants to change his or her name.  If the child is an adult, the child’s spouse may be required to consent.

On other occasions, the paternity of the child’s father may not have been established so the mother may not know who the father is.  If she identifies potential fathers, then those fathers may sign affidavits in which they state they have no knowledge as to the paternity of the child and do not object to the adoption.   If the mother was married at the time the child was conceived or born, then her husband would have to participate in the proceeding, but would not sign the same affidavit.

Some of these steps are much more difficult to complete without professional help.  An attorney experienced in this area of law can resolve issues, point you in the right direction and, ultimately, help bring your family together.

If you have any questions in regards or need answers for any other family law related questions, please contact Wendy A Mara at Mara Law P.A. in Ormond Beach, Florida (386) 672-8081


Bookmark & Share

User Comments

Be the first to comment on this post below!

Popular tags on this blog

agency rights | alimony | business entity | business interests | child support | Daytona divorce lawyer | estate matters | estate planning | family law matters | Florida estate law | gay marriage | grandparents rights | Guardian Ad Litem | guardian advocate | LLC law | marriage annulment | parental relocation | paternity action | probate | probate lawyer | same sex marraige | S corporation | social media | Trustee | visitation rights |
Contact us


Mara Law, P.A.

Office 1

555 West Granada Blvd, Suite B5
Ormond Beach, FL 32174


Office 2

389 Palm Coast Parkway SW, Ste 4
Palm Coast, Florida 32137

Pay online

10.0Wendy Anne Mara

Mara Law, P.A. is located in Ormond Beach, FL and serves clients in and around Bunnell, New Smyrna Beach, De Leon Springs, Palm Coast, Daytona Beach, Flagler Beach, Barberville, Pierson, Seville, Port Orange, Flagler County and Volusia County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ]

See our profile at or