Mara Law, P.A.
Protecting you, your family
and your assets
Mara Law, P.A.
Mara Law, P.A.

Grandparents’ Rights In Florida

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:25PM

It can be distressing enough for a grandparent to face the prospect of his or her child's divorce, but the prospect of losing contact with a grandchild can be heartbreaking. Despite the major role often played in the lives of their grandchildren, grandparents' rights vary considerably from state to state. Although Florida has enacted a statute giving grandparents visitation rights in some circumstances, many of its provisions have been found to be unconstitutional by Florida's courts.

Statutory rights

Grandparents may request of the court reasonable visitation rights if it is in the child's best interests in any of the following cases:

  • The parents' marriage was dissolved.
  • A parent deserted the child.
  • The child was born out of wedlock and later determined to have been born within wedlock.

When determining a child's best interests, courts consider the following factors:

  • How willing the grandparent is to encourage a close relationship between the child and the parent(s)
  • The quality and duration of the relationship between the child and the grandparent(s)
  • The child's preference, if the child is sufficiently mature
  • The physical and mental health of the grandparent(s) and the child
  • Any other necessary factor in the circumstances

These rights are terminated if the child is adopted, unless the adoption is by a stepparent.

Constitutional issues

Unfortunately for grandparents, courts have found that many provisions of the statute violate parents' rights to raise their children free from government interference. Even a visitation order granted in another state may not be upheld in Florida. In a fairly recent case, a court terminated vitiation rights granted to a grandparent by a Virginia court. However, despite these issues, the statute remains on Florida's statute books.

If you are a grandparent and are seeking visitation rights for your grandchild, contact an experienced Daytona divorce lawyer for advice and assistance.

Bookmark & Share

User Comments

Be the first to comment on this post below!

Popular tags on this blog

agency rights | alimony | business entity | business interests | child support | Daytona divorce lawyer | estate matters | estate planning | family law matters | Florida estate law | gay marriage | grandparents rights | Guardian Ad Litem | guardian advocate | LLC law | marriage annulment | parental relocation | paternity action | probate | probate lawyer | same sex marraige | S corporation | social media | Trustee | visitation rights |
Contact us


Mara Law, P.A.

Office 1

555 West Granada Blvd, Suite B5
Ormond Beach, FL 32174


Office 2

389 Palm Coast Parkway SW, Ste 4
Palm Coast, Florida 32137

Pay online

10.0Wendy Anne Mara

Mara Law, P.A. is located in Ormond Beach, FL and serves clients in and around Bunnell, New Smyrna Beach, De Leon Springs, Palm Coast, Daytona Beach, Flagler Beach, Barberville, Pierson, Seville, Port Orange, Flagler County and Volusia County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ]

See our profile at or